Is your throat dry? There are a lot of people who complain of having dry throat at night or even during the morning. Dry throat causes vary; although this condition is often temporary, it could indicate a much bigger medical problem or the presence of a serious disease. However, this is not always the case. Often, this can just be a throat irritation which can be resolved easily. Other accompanying symptoms, however, should be noted in order to determine the possible cause of the condition.
What are the Different Dry Throat Causes?
Complaints of sore dry throat are fairly common and here are some of those common dry throat causes:
- Breathing through the mouth
- Dry Air
- Strep throat
- Side effects of medication
- Excessive throat clearing
Dry throat causes may also include serious medical conditions. Some of these conditions include the following:
- Salivary Gland Cancer. Salivary glands are located in the neck, throat and mouth. These glands provide the moisture that keeps the tissue in good condition. When there is cancer, the salivary gland dries up and it stops secreting moisture. This often results to dry throat cough or sore throat. Although the cause of this type of cancer is generally not known, this cancer is often associated with smoking and high-fat diet. Amongst all possible dry throat causes, this is one of the most worrisome.
- Sjogren’s syndrome. This is an autoimmune disease which damages the body’s exocrine glands. Similar to the salivary gland cancer, this disease prevents the salivary glan
ds from secreting moisture which results to dry sore throat. The disease may appear independent of any other illness, but there are many cases wherein the disease is accompanied by lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. There is no treatment for this type of disease. Patients afflicted with this type of condition compensate for the dryness by drinking fluids or taking medications for saliva production.
- Tonsil problems. Although it can be removed without causing irreparable damage to the body, the tonsils help block germs from entering the body. When it swells, this indicates infection. Sometimes, it can even indicate presence of cancer, tumor or abscess.
“My Throat is Dry? What Could Be Causing It?”
The cause of throat dryness varies from one person to another, so one has to visit a licensed healthcare provider to have his throat checked. The healthcare provider will have to do a physical exam in order to determine any underlying medical problem.
It is hard to sleep or work when you have a dry burning throat. One has to look into all possible dry throat causes. A simple trigger like allergies or sinusitis may be easily resolved, but that would not be the case if the cause is something more serious. Once the cause is determined, proper dry throat remedy may be given.